From May 19 to 26, 2018 the workshops was held in Vilshany Children Orphanage on care for serious bed patients with the participation of Swiss and Ukrainian experts (physiotherapy, ergotherapy, daily support) and the organization of pedagogical support, including classes in speech therapy for young wards of the boarding school.
Team from Switzerland
1. Brigitte Berthold - the physical therapist (Bobat therapist)
2. Susanne Codoni - the specialist in speech therapy for people with complex disorders
3. Claudia Loy - the physiotherapist
4. Henny Graf - the special education teacher
5. Annette Shis - the occupational therapist
6. Stafan Vismuller - the mechanic for accessory means for people with disabilities
7. Silvia Zimmermann - the early intervention specialist
One of the greatest challenges under the conditions of work in the orphanage is a large lack of staff. When one nurse has to feed 15-20 children with serious physical disabilities - the question arises how to adjust and facilitate her work. Silvia Zimmermann and Annette Shis worked directly with the wards together with the Junior staff to optimize their daily work in nursing. While working in the patient's room, it was decided to try to involve two wards into the pedagogical process of regular school attendance. As a result, one of the wards Ishtvan, after the second attempt, began attending the school on the regular basis.
Thus, together with the Board, a decision was made on adaptation process with regard to the children's attendance of the school - a psychologist will be involved in assistance to the teacher accompanying a child during this process. A speech therapy specialist has developed a lesson for children, which will be used by teachers (due to the lack of a speech therapist in the orphanage). One of the important achievements of this active week was the individual adaptation of wheelchairs as to the wards, as the correct position of the child in the wheelchair is a pledge of his/her correct perception of the world and health.